Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christmas!

Who doesn't love this time of year?! Its the best. :)

I've decorated the house early before but never put the tree up early, this year I let the kids talk me into [wasn't hard] into it, we set it up the Monday before Thanksgiving. I wish Christmas lasted longer! But honestly, I like doing it on the Friday morning after Thanksgiving better. We'll try to stick to that from now on.



The house looks so pretty and smells so good! Its our first Christmas owning the house and with our pretty floors. [Wish my kitchen was finished too!] so it feels a little different this year. Wish the weather matched though, 80s gross.

Our tree is full of mine and Steven's old ornaments, ones we've bought for the kids every year, and now homemade ones. Its covered in love. :) I borrowed one from my Mom, its the same size as ours but a little fuller. And it has acorns attatched! We wrap in with burlap again [probably be awhile til I find something I like better!] and added red berries, pretty. I bought a bunch of pretty jingle bells and we always add candy canes! It has a rustic/country feel to it- perfect since thats what I aim for in my house decorating.

I love our tree!

We started/are starting new traditions this year, I'm ALL about traditions! Creating them with my little family is so fun. A few we already have are: listening to The Chipmunks Christmas while we decorate, lots of Christmas pjs and pictures in front of the tree in pjs. We also take a family picture with Santa every year.

One new tradition is our bedtime stories every night are Christmas books. And we brought home a new friend, our Elf on the Shelf, Jacob! He's not that great of a help yet though. When the kids are older, I'm sure he will be. Its fun setting him out every night and the kids reactions in the morning:

 
 
This year we'll also be buying gifts for kids from the angel tree. I wrote last year about how important it is to us that the kids know how blessed they are. We don't go nuts buying Christmas presents, they get a few small things and something special from Santa. Getting presents isn't what this time of year is about! I know they'll always look forward to the gifts [what kid doesn't?] but I want them to understand that its WAY more than about that, starting at a young age is the best way.
 
Also, on Christmas Eve we'll be baking cookies for Santa. We set them out with milk every year [and a carrots for the reindeer] but I want them to be homemade, something they look forward to every year. The past years they weren't able to help and I didn't want to be doing it alone so this year, we start!
 
Aiden's already asked me to make him a "Christmas lunch" uh oh, I raised the bar too high! Now they expect fun lunches. I'll have to look some stuff up. I got two Christmas cards in the mail yesterday and realized I hadn't even ordered ours yet- oopsie! Got on that and that's checked off of my list.
 
Christmas coming means Rian's about to be three. Waaaah. So not ready. :(
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas tree! I love special ornaments- Too many people just cover their trees in red and gold balls- so boring!! I never want a boring tree, I want a special tree!

    Last night before bed I was thinking about the kids' Christmas jammies! They each have 6 pairs, I think I'm only going to put them in Christmas jammies througout the month of December. That can be our little Christmas tradition.

    I can't wait til my kids are old enough for Elf on a Shelf! Jacob is definitely your kids' elf! Popcorn, milk, Buzz, and Pinkalicous! How fun.

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I want to come over and be part of your traditions! Well, I have gotten/made the kids special ornaments so that counts right? Putting up our ornaments us our favorite little tradition- we tell stories of each every year. Love you guys! Was our card one of the two you received? :)

    ReplyDelete