Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tinted jar fail.

So I saw this picture the other day on Pinterest:

Tinted jars using food coloring and Mod Podge- I HAD to do it!

The instructions were simple and I had all of the stuff [I always keep jars and bottles if I like how they look because I'll use them for something] so I did them yesterday morning. A few things that weren't mentioned in the original blog: they take forever to dry. I did three, a day later only one of them is mostly dry, the bottom is still a little wet. The other one is about 3/4 of the way dry. The third one was a beer bottle and that one didn't dry whatsoever, the opening's not big enough so its not drying at all. Also they need to be placed perfectly straight [obviously upside down] while they're drying. If they're the tiniest bit tilted, the Mod Podge will drip down at an angle and clump. The original blogger used green strawberry baskets to hold them while they dried [I haven't seen those in years!] I used a cereal box, cut out holes and propped it up in the middle with a plastic container so it didn't collapse from the weight.

Well, my finished products didn't come out too great:

The one on the left is still drying [the milkiness on the bottom is how they look when they're wet.] But its the one that I followed her instructions on, two drops of blue and three drops of red. Mine isn't cranberry, its purple! Weird. The one on the right I added three more drops of red. It was bright pink the whole time it was drying but lightened up a little.

Its still more pink than I'd like but its okay, it'll just look pretty in Ri's room instead of the living room.

It was so easy but somehow I managed to mess it up haha. This is my test run, I want to do more with different colors. I'm not a huge fan of purple. The good thing is- Mod Podge will wash right out! So I can reuse the same jars if I want.


And lastly:
I love this picture, its so Rian.
[messy face, feet on the table and not giving a crap!]

1 comment:

  1. I think it came out cute!!! I want to try it eventually.

    And i love rian. She is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete