Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mean Mommy.

This picture sums up our afternoon:

[Sad, right?]

The kids broke four things today. Aiden wouldn't stop "shooting" me with his guns- my rule for guns is to not point them at me and Rian [Steven doesn't care if he shoots him.] Maybe thats too strict but seriously, he doesn't need to be shooting people. Rian kept climbing on the chair and hit her face on the wall when it fell. They don't even wait to be naughty when I'm in a different room anymore, they do it right in front of me. So when the last thing broke [they knocked the shelf down that holds the dvr and dvd player] I decided to try something new and became "Mean Mommy." I told them naughty kids have mean mommies. [I know this sounds so ridiculous, but I was desperate!] On an ordinary day, I can be mean, but its never consistant. I yell then give hugs, then yell and laugh with them... its never long-lasting. But today was different and they knew it. I made them eat dinner in silence, then we went back to Aiden's room and they had to clean everything up, then they had their bath and weren't allowed to play in the tub. Rian was heartbroken, it was soo hard for me to not give in and hug her but I want them to take me seriously. Why don't they take me seriously?! I didn't yell at all but I talked in a really mean, stern voice and told them nice Mommy was gone. It lasted one looooong hour. And as I knew it would happen, they were back to their usual ways 30 minutes after we talked about everything and gave kisses & hugs. Now, all I can do it laugh...

I give up!

And if anybody who just read that thinks I'm a horrible mom, all I have to say is- just you wait. You really have no idea what you're in for, until you're living it. Especially when you have more than one kid- and especially when they're close in age. Being a parent made me realize its not all lovey-dovey and perfect, smiley family all the time. Being stern and forceful, even harsh, is what's going to mold these little souls to stand up for themselves in the future. I don't want to sugar-coat things for them. They're going to face a lot of hardships in their lives, I hope to always be their soft landing space but I also want them to be able to face reality- not everything in life turns out the way you want it to, its not always perfect. I'm almost starting to despise that work- "perfect". I'm sure many will disagree, but this is my blog and they're my kids- thank you! :)

Anyway -end rant.
This morning, before the madness.
Aiden playing dress up and Rian watching me workout.

I'm soo tempted to put her crib rail back on. She tries to get in our bed all throughout the night, which I don't mind but Steven's always been paranoid about them sleeping with us. Last week he woke up and freaked out because his pillow was over her face. He's a really deep sleeper. So I'm having to get up all night to put her back in bed. Once he's off to work, I let her sleep with me. I felt her start bouncing around this morning and right when I opened my eyes, I watched the clock turn to 6:30. Ugh. I miss the good ol' days when they'd sleep til 8-8:30.


Tomorrow will be a week since I started my ceiling to floor wall of pictures, I think its coming along nicely.
I love looking at it. :)

Random but since I made it today, I decided to take a picture.
Steven and I go through two bowls of salsa a week- addicting! Its yummy on everything.



Cheers to tomorrow being a better day-
and Mean Mommy not having to make another visit.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, you're A LOT more patient than I think I will ever be. Although, I'm not a mother, I can relate with teaching. I love/care for all kids as if they're my own and often times I've had to be sterner/harsher/meaner to show them I mean business. I think you're doing a great job and have no clue why anyone would disagree. :]

    ReplyDelete