Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 3

Describe your relationship with your parents

I have a great relationship with my parents- the older I get, the better it gets. Choices they have made throughout my life now make sense. Becoming a parent has made me appreciate them on a whole new level. You never understand the vulnerability, the fear, the happiness, the love and everything else that your parents have for you, til you have all those same feelings for your babies.

My mom is one of my best friends, I tell her everything- we could talk and laugh forever. It makes me sad that not everybody has that kind of relationship with their mom. We had our typical problems when I was a teenager but she was always there for me. So was my Dad. I love my dad so much. He'll talk to anybody about anything, he's so friendly. He's funny, dedicated and hard working. On my wedding day, while we were taking pictures I was fine until it was my dad's turn- I lost it. I didn't have a tradtional wedding and the biggest thing I regret about it was him not walking me down the aisle. I'm sure it makes him sad too.

My parents are the greatest. They were protective but not overbearing. They taught me lessons and let me learn on my own. I want to parent just like them. I know I've made choices they didn't agree with but they've always stood behind me and been my biggest supporters. They let me leave home and stand on my own two feet [well kind of since I wasn't totally living alone but you know what I mean!] 

I love living so close to them. We go their house for dinner every Sunday. I take the kids over during the week when I'm bored. Better than having them as parents, my kids get them as grandparents. :)

I am who I am, because of them.

1 comment: