Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"New house" project #1- laundry room.

Sunday we went over to Steven's parents' house to get all the details about buying this house.

After his Dad is finished working on a few jobs around here [we told him about them awhile ago, but you know- out of sight, out of mind!] they're going to the title office to draw up the papers and soon we'll be paying a morgage instead of rent! Exciting. :) It looks like we'll be doing a 15 year loan and our payments [plus taxes] won't be much more than we're already paying- awesome! There was a leak inside my bathroom wall so part of the shower wall is knocked down and to look into the wall, he had to remove a kitchen cabinet and cut a hole to see where the leak was. So its kind of a mess over here right now.

I finally wrote out a To Do list and its HUGE. I wasn't sleeping well with everything going threw my mind and I instantly felt better when it was written down. I'm still having trouble falling asleep because I'm soo anxious and excited to get started.

Anyway! Since I can't go crazy and get into the big projects yet, I decided to redo the laundry room. I started around 4 and didn't get done til around 10 last night- sheesh! And it seemed like such a simple project. It was really squished in there because the washer and dryer were in my way, so moving around took a lot of time. I would've started earlier but our good friends Ryan and Brittany [and baby Tristan!] were in town saying byes before Ryan heads off to bootcamp- love them.

To start out, I had to remove the wallpaper border- PAIN IN THE ASS. I read blogs: score the paper [puts a bunch of little holes in it so the remover seeps in], spray the remover, scrape off. Sounded easy! The scoring tool ended up being totally useless. The remover wasn't soaking through the top laywer of wallpaper so I had to peel it off then spray it on the adhesive part. AND the scarper we bought was way too sharp and diggining into the wall so I ended up scraping it off with a credit card. As I was doing it, I had Steven google DIY remover: warm water and vinegar. UGH! So basically we wasted our money on everything we needed to remove it. Oh well, lesson learned.

Finally it was off! The worst part of painting for me is the taping. And I had a lot of stuff to tape off. I was a little bummed out at first because it was way brighter than I wanted. But when I was done, I loved it! Its still not totally done but here's it so far:

[I painted more than what's showing here.]

I plan on doing "before and after" pictures of everything we redo. Today I bought a new rug and pretty switch plates. To the left of the "laundry room" is Steven's bathroom. Its all one big room. He really likes the color and wants the whole bathroom done in it... I told him I'd consider it if he helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment