Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3

A few weeks after we signed Aiden up for soccer, I got a call saying "I see you checked the volunteer box on his sign-up sheet, his team needs a coach, would you be interested?" Ummm what?! When I checked that box, I pictured orange slices and water bottles, Coach, no way! He said at this age, they just need to learn to not touch the ball and try to make goals. But still, a picture of angry parents yelling at me as I cried flashed in my mind. I told him I'd think about it, but never called him back.

Weeks later, Steven came home and told me one of his coworkers told him practice was starting that week. I sent a email and got an automated response that there's either not a coach or there is and they're waiting to be certified. If there wasn't a coach, we'd be reimbursed. I was pretty bummed. But later that night, I got an email from a real person and they gave me the coach's name and number. She called me back a few days later and said we'd start practice January 3rd.

January 3rd finally came! Seven kids showed up and it was... interesting. It didn't seem organized at all. Practice was 45 minutes, they kicked back and forth, practiced dribbling and shooting goals. We also learned that our first game would be in two days. TWO days after ONE short practice, all the while the other teams had been practicing for weeks. Eek! The good thing is, at this age, there's no score during games. I've been trying to explain to Aiden how things will be on Saturday, I have a feeling it'll be a huge mess, probably pretty entertaining! We're not super competitive people anyway. Poor Steven is so bummed about missing his first game. He'll miss most of them because he goes straight from one job to the other on Saturdays and works til closing, but he really wanted to be at the first one.

He got his uniform last night, so cute. I can't wait to see him with all of his gear on. I'm officially a Soccer Mom! :)

1 comment: