Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 110 (DIY muslin swaddles)

Since I've been pregnant, I've been looking up the latest and greatest products, etc. Things in the baby world change so quickly! Everybody's gaga over these Aden and Anais swaddle blankies, but they range from $30-$40 for a 4-pack. I've also seen super cute ones on Etsy but those are just as expensive. That's crazy to me! As cute as they may be, I can't bring myself to pay that much.

So since I have stencils, I decided to make my own. I googled the fabric for the muslin wraps (gauze) and since I had a day off (kids were at Grandpa and Grandma's!) I headed to Joann. I was prepared to buy just one yard since that's all the coupon counts for, but it was on sale! $3.50 a yard.

Ready to get busy.
 
Before I did anything, I was going to have my mom hem them, but I liked how they looked when they came out of the wash. Curled and frayed edges, they can still be hemmed if it gets too bad. I started with the gold birdies, its turning out really cute but I ran out of paint so its not complete. I also had one in the tub with the dye. 
 
 
Next I did the tribal pattern on the beige blanket. That one took forever. During this time, the dyed one was done but I didn't like how it turned out, neon orange. The bottle color looks like a pretty sunflower yellow. Oh well. Last I did the bronze flower pattern, it'll be fine for a boy. :)


In love with them!
 
They came out way better than I expected, I couldn't be happier! I plan to make a couple more. I already had the stencils (and they'll be used over and over so I'll more than get my money's worth out of them) and the paint. I bought a bottle of dye and I'll probably get a couple more paint colors. So they came out to roughly $4 each. Can't beat that! Original and cheap. :)
 
I did paint one side of AJ's bedroom door while they were washing before I started, but the swaddles pretty much filled my day. I was cleaning up when Steven got home from work. We both expected the kids to be home way before he did, but since they weren't, we went on a dinner date before we picked them up. Love having alone time with my hubby. Later that night he felt Baby move for the first time!

1 comment: