Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 140

Finally today was the day! After five weeks of waiting, wondering, praying.

I had the very first ultrasound appointment. I was going alone, (no babysitter and I was babysitting) the only thing that really bothered me about that was being by myself if I were to get bad news. I checked in, made the payment, then went into the little waiting area inside (there's a big one when you first walk in and a small one in the area where all the rooms/offices are, where you wait for ultrasounds and lab work.) HGTV was on and I looked at a Better Homes and Garden Magazines. I thought by that point, I'd definitely be a nervous wreck, but I was so calm.

I got called back, the nurse put the paper thing on me and I laid down to wait for the tech. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't the same one that I'd seen the last two times, but oh well. She told me she'd be retaking pictures that they didn't get clear shots of last time and then double checked with me about not knowing the baby's gender. I took a really deep breath right before she started.

The first thing we saw was the baby's spine. She started taking pictures and measurements of everything all over again. When she got to the heart and typed "4 chambers" on the screen, I told her that's what I was told was what they needed more pictures of. She said, "Yep. And baby's being very cooperative for me, I'm getting everything I need." I asked her how long it'd take for me to get notified if something wasn't normal and she said they'd talk to me right away, right after she was finished. I still wasn't sure if her typing that meant everything was okay just yet.

She showed me on my belly, as she moved the ultrasound thing (what's it called?!) how the baby's positioned. Head is already way down in my pelvis, back goes up my left side, butt is up by the top of my belly and little legs on my top right (for now at least! Baby has plenty of time to flip flop around in there). The little feet were crossed, soo cute. I wish she'd given me pictures of that! She wanted to give me a face picture and was having a hard time getting a good one.

She said, "Okay we're all done! Baby was very cooperative this time." She asked if I already had my next regular check up scheduled and that they'd follow up with me then, she gave me my check out sheet and that was that. It was over.

24 weeks, 5 days

Even though I hadn't been nervous, when I stepped outside, I felt like a huge weight was suddenly lifted. It felt so good to finally know everything was okay, nothing is wrong with our baby. :) I got in my car and sent out texts right away, I couldn't wait to get home and tell Steven! And also everybody else that'd been praying along the way.

1 comment: