Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 168

I didn't sleep too well again last night, but this time it wasn't because my body hurt, I was just plain excited! Our little San Diego getaway starts today!

We were meeting my parents at the last gas station before the freeway at 8:30, my alarm was set for 7:00, but my eyes popped right open at 5am. At 7:20, everybody else was still asleep and refusing to wake up.

Momma was ready to go!
 

All set for the ride!

 
We had lunch plans with our friends, AJ and Philip, when we got into town, so we stopped a little more than halfway to put the kids in my parents' car. Of course Rian didn't want to leave me. She's back into her extra, extra clingy, "I want Mommy" stage. Oh boy.
 
I needed some new eyeliner, so we stopped at the mall for it and got Ri a snack since we'd be having a late lunch. Going from 110ish degrees to the 70s is the best!
 
That face.
 
We met at AJ's cute little barber shop, he probably wouldn't appreciate me calling it "cute," but it totally is!

That bookshelf to the left is a hidden door to the back room.
 
Not only was the barber shop really cute, it was in the cutest little area! Right next door there was a pretty little house, complete with a white picket fence and flowers growing up the walls- love! And across the street was a cute little produce shop. I would've gone picture crazy, but Steven's phone was about to die and of course, I left my camera at home. Boo. We walked to a meatball restaurant that was nearby- yum! Eating is one of my favorite things about going out of town. It used to bother Steven that I never wanted to eat at places we had back home, but he's starting to get it now (finally.) Food is a huge part of vacationing!
 
Philip and Steven are best friends. I've known him as long as I've known Steven, but I didn't get to really know him until we got married. Within the last year, he found out he has lupus and then a few months ago, he found out he has lymphoma. Poor guy just can't catch a break. He was set to start his second chemo session the next day, we were both a little nervous about seeing him. Of course, he's still the same ol' lovable guy. I don't know how I'd act if I were to be in that situation. He's definitely an inspiring person. Our kids adore him. Rian is ridiculously shy, but she gave him a hug and a kiss when it was time to say bye. I hate that these things happen to some of the best people I know.
 
Lunch with Nana, Papa, Auntie Rae and Joe.
 
We met back up with my parents at the hotel, on Coronado Island. My dream is to win the lottery and move there. It's gorgeous, some of the most beautiful houses I've ever laid eyes one. We got rooms, right on the beach for sooo cheap. Military perks! Aiden was at the pool with my sister and her boyfriend when we got there, then we all decided to head to the beach.
 

We buried Steven in the sand. :) Joe had the idea to make him a mermaid, I was laughing so hard I peed! The seaweed hair got me.
 
S+R

The water was freezing but they had no fear, they loved running from the waves!
 
We enjoyed the beach for a few hours then grilled some hot dogs and hung out til pretty late while the kids played on the playground. Us girls (and Joe) were all freezing so we decided to call it a night.
 
A super fun first day!

1 comment: