Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 247 (Asher's birth story Pt. 2)

In triage, the nurse checked me and I was 3cm, 80%, -1. (Earlier at my appointment I was 2cm, 60%, -2) She said she was going to call Marsha and see what she said. Marsha wanted me to walk for an hour... not possible. My pain went from okay to not okay, at all, so quick. She called her back and she said she was going to admit me, as soon as a room opened. Ugh! I couldn't wait to get a room and get my epidural.

In the meantime, I signed some paperwork electronically and they started my IV. She was able to give me some pain meds, I was unsure if I wanted anything because I took some with Aiden and it made me sooo loopy. But I was desperate. Honestly, I don't understand how (or why!) women want to do this naturally. No thank you! She gave me something different than what I had the first time and it took the edge off, but only lasted an hour.

Twenty-thirty minutes later, a room opened. She wheeled us out, we got there around 3:15am and she checked me, 6cm. That's what I was when I got my epidural with Rian and after that, things went insanely fast with her. I didn't get totally numb and knew when it was time to push and when I needed to with each contraction. This time, I was SO numb. I didn't like it, I was worried I wouldn't know when to push, but it beat being in pain. That's for sure! I called my mom around 4am and she said she'd be there after she showered (she was going to work afterwards, good thing she works at the hospital!) I tried to get some rest in the meantime, I'd been up all night so far.

An hour later, my mom and sister showed up. I'd felt some pressure by this point. Around 5:15, the nurse came in and said my contractions were going crazy and asked if I was feeling anything. I told her I was feeling some pressure and she checked me: I was complete. She got on the phone and said, "Get in here, it's time." And they started setting everything up. I started crying. I couldn't believe I was about to do this, that it was finally time to meet my mystery baby.

Excited!

Marsha came in right away, I was glad she was going to be in there while I pushed. Apparently the head was practically hanging out! Everybody kept commenting about it. She asked Steven how many pushes he thought it'd take, he said two. Everybody was talking and excited so we missed a few contractions. They were still talking when I told them I felt one and wanted to push. I pushed holding my legs, but they were so heavy so I didn't the next time. She told me I did better when I held them, so I grabbed them again for the last push.

Three pushes (two contractions) later, I peaked down and saw a little squished up face. Out the rest of the baby came and I heard Steven's voice, "It's a boy." and lots and lots of crying from me.

They laid him on my lower belly and we waited for the umbilical cord to stop pulsing before Steven cut it. Then I finally got to hold him!

Love at first sight.

Asher Jeffery
7lbs 9oz, 19 in
(I'm seriously in shock that he's so small!)
Asher: "happy, blessed" and Jeffery after my dad.
Daddy!

My placenta took forever to come out. In the meantime they weighed him and all that, then I wanted him on me skin-to-skin. We stayed like that for awhile, til they wanted to give him a bath and Steven and I were able to eat breakfast. We were exhausted, but in heaven.

Around 9:00-9:30, we were moved to another room. We were left alone for quite a bit of the day, except when the lactation consultant stopped in. She wanted me to keep him skin-to-skin only, which was perfectly fine with me. He finally latched around 1:00- ouch! But pretty amazing since it was my first latch ever, finally with my third baby.

I took a small catnap, but we had family in and out all day so it was hard. It's weird to be so tired, but it not really bother you because you're on such an amazing high. I couldn't stop starting at him, I didn't want to sleep! 

Meeting for the first time!
Love.

We're so in love with our new little guy. It doesn't matter how many times you meet your brand new baby, its truly the most amazing feeling in the world. He spent the night in my arms and we continued to work on his latch, which he seemed to be doing just fine. If I could only get past the pain!

Every single thing about this pregnancy, and now birth, have been totally opposite of my first two experiences. A non-induced baby, born on his due date! I'm so in love with him!

Welcome to the world, Asher.

1 comment:

  1. So in love with this perfect little guy! I can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete