Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Me.

The way I dress is the same as the way I decorate my house- random. I like everything, all different styles and looks. That was one thing I hated about high school, all the labels. For the most part, I've always dressed pretty plain and simple. The last few years I haven't had a whole lot of style- going through two pregnancies close together, taking care of babies and staying home, all the while trying to make my house pretty and have the kids look good- most times I come in last. [Which is fine, that comes with being a Mom.] 

I found an old scarf today that I bought around my 21st birthday [geez over 6 years ago!] it has gold sequence thats falling out all over the place, but still pretty. :) It got me thinking back to that time and further back.

In one of my past relationships, I felt like I had to dress to fit his style. I remember when I bought my first pair of flats, they were plain black ballet-style and I actually felt embarrassed to wear them. I had them for about 2 weeks before I actually wore them out of the house. It was Thanksgiving when I finally did and I second and third and fourth-guessed my decision to wear them. How weird is that. Talk about insecure! And when that relationship ended, I started getting into different looks. One day a certain somebody told me I dress weird. :\ She probably has no recollection of it but it still crosses my mind more often than it probably should.

That was one of the first things that I noticed when Steven and I were finally able to be together, I felt totally comfortable being me with him. If I bought something kind of "funky"- I didn't get stupid worried that he'd think I was weird like I would've in the past. There are some things I wear that he makes faces at but it doesn't matter, he's still going to love me! I always tell him to shut up, the guy that basically only wears plain white t's and Dickies isn't allowed to give me fashion advice!

On one of the last episodes of 'Kate Plus 8' she was talking about getting older, she said something like in your twenties you're still trying to figure everything out and in your thirties you start to realize who you are. I totally got it. Now that I'm in my late-twenties, I feel like I'm finally starting to get a sense of who I am. I felt like I was a late bloomer til I heard her say that.

Finally getting comfortable in my own skin.
[Although I'm not sure I'll ever love all the wrinkles I'm discovering.]


I've been feeling like I need to step it up, revamp myself so Steven doesn't get bored. [Haha kidding.] I miss dressing up and wearing heels... maybe Mom and Dad need a date night!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. My entire life I've been told how weird/funky/etc I dress and I've embraced it SO much. I've gotten made fun of a lot but taken it in stride, for the most part. I like bring different, but I'm also not too "different" as I'm constantly being inspired my everyone's styles.

    I think you're one of the most beautiful girls I know. True Story. & the more comfortable you rock your own views, the hotter you are. :)

    P.S. I love being weird (normal is boring) and I hope I wasn't the friend who called your steeze weird, lol! Maybe she meant it in a cool way!

    ReplyDelete